Children love water. They like to splash and pour. If there’s a puddle around, they want to be in it. Rain is fun, because it makes pattery noises and designs on the window panes. But it can be frightening too, if it comes with darkness and wind, lightning and thunder. Teach young children that God takes care of them during storms.
“Even the wind and waves obey him!” Mark 4:41 (ICB) Talk about what waves are. Talk about what it means to obey. Then help the children learn this verse by singing it to the tune of “Skip to My Lou.”
Unit Goals: By the end of this unit, the child should:
• Know that God takes care of him during storms.
• Trust God and feel more secure during storms.
• Sing or say the memory verse.
• Noah and the Ark (Genesis 6-8) Focus: God took care of Noah and the animals.
• Elijah and the Cloud (1 Kings 18:41-46) Focus: God sent rain to water a dry land.
• Jesus Stills the Storm (Mark 4:35-41) Focus: The storm obeyed Jesus.
• Jesus Walks on Water (Matthew 14:22-33) Focus: Jesus helped his friends on a windy sea.
-Crayon Resist Storm
-Blown Lightning Painting
-Soap Flake Sea
-Storm in a Bottle
-Waves on a Bagel
Music & Movement:
-The Ants Go Marching
-Rain, Rain, Splash Away
-Five Little Ducks
-Flash Goes the Lightning
-Rainy Day Dress-Ups
-I Am Wind
-Rain, Rain, Storm
This folder is designed to give you the ideas you need to teach a unit about trusting God. Mix and match the activities you want with the stories suggested, and enjoy!